From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:12:05 -0800
Hi All,
One of our esteemed Lactnutters mentions (carefully and hesitantly) that she
has tried many types of anti-depressant meds.  I have one question:

WHY are we so embarrassed/humiliated/shy/hesitant etc to "admit" that we
either take or have needed to take anti-sepressant medication?  In this day
and age of mental illness being such a widespread problem what is the big
deal anymore?  Almost everyone I know right now has either taken A/D meds or
is on them, including myself.  I am tired of people having to feel like they
need to apologise for taking meds that help them live normal lives.  I am
tired of people being embarrassed because they need to take a med to live a
normal life.  No one ever thinks twice about someone needing antibiotics for
strep-throat or any other medication for any other illness.
Our society is so messed up that it is no wonder so many people suffer from
depression. Our atmosphere and everything we consume has some sort if
pollutant in it, that it is no wonder our brain chemistrys are messed up to
the point of causing depression.

Folks, stop apologizing/feeling badly/embarrassed for taking
anti-depressants.  It is no crime and no big deal, IMNSHO.  I currently take
an herbal anti-depressant because I cannot take the prescrip ones (too many
BAD side-effects) and I want to be human, be a good mother and function like
a normal person.  I have my hubby taking the same herbal A/D because without
it hhe cannot cope with daaily life and he is overwhelmed with insecurity
and negativity.  While on it, he can cope and is a more positive person.  I
used to be embarrassed about my need for A/D meds, years ago, but quit after
coming to the realization that depression is a fact of my life, something I
need to take care of for myself, and I would rather be a normal, healthy
person (and a decent mother) and take medication (herbal or prescrip) than
to not take it and be (in my own terms - and this term has no relevance to
anyone else than myself) a fruitcake.

Off my soapbox - and this is a BIG one for me - my the air is thin up here...

Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, California, West Coast, USA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."