Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:11:28 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (56 lines)
 Winnie,
I for one would not like you or anyone else to be silent on LN. OTOH, I have to say that I fully understand Joanne's response.

Posts like this original one imply that a certain political viewpoint is shared by all of "us" Americans. Whenever such a comment
is made it does indeed become political and as an American, the implications make me uncomfortable. This comment implies
that "we" Americans were successful in crippling the economy of another nation for failing to see things our way ("wouldn't support 
us" suggests that there is one way to see this situation--a very dangerous viewpoint, in my opinion and one I do not want implied, 
through my silence, that I share,) It also implies that "we" Americans are of one political mind on world issues. Any such 
statement is fraught with polarizing political implications. 

One cannot avoid making a political statement by claiming to not make one before making one. Clearly, there is a difference 
of opinion as to why there was political upheaval in France and only one of those opinions gives the US credit for "crippling"
their economy. It is not that I do not see the Nestle boycott as political--most assuredly it is. It is just that this original 
comment crossed the line, b/c as much as we all try to remain a-political on LN, once such a comment is made, either 
responding or being silent implies a political viewpoint.

Original comment:
"I am a little behind in reading my posts (reading June 27th now) about 
boycotting Medela.  Just a thought about whether boycotts work.  Remember 
the US boycott on the French when they wouldn't support us right after 9/11 
happened?  I am certainly not intending to get policital, as I don't believe 
Lactnet is the place for that, but I simply want to point out that the US 
boycott of French goods crippled their economy, to the point where the 
French voted out that leader and elected a leader who would support the US."

Personally, I do not think boycotts generally work, but I boycott Nestle anyway--which is comparatively easy for my 
family b/c we eat very few processed foods and have no interest in their products. But, with so many huge 
conglomerates eating each other up, boycotts are very difficult to track. And, as Morgan said, perhaps if the 
US would get on board with the Code, a boycott here would have some meaning. As to Medela, well, as Regina
suggested, we need to decide what our position is on these issues and act accordingly. I agree with Mary--breastpumps
need to be treated like medical equipment. But, the I think AIM needs to be by prescription only and the one thing that
all of these situations share is the reality that the market drives decision-making in most companies and that integrity
is a rare commodity indeed.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2