From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:48:09 EST
I would so appreciate some input on this situation as I'm trying to look at
it professionally, though finding my frustration and exasperation levels high.
A pediatrician who frequently refers to me (he has some faith in my judgment)
has told a mom with whom I'm working that she shouldn't take herbal
supplements (MM+, goat's rue) to increase her low milk supply because they are not
approved by the FDA.  Interestingly, he is ok with her domperidone use.  (Of
course mom has unfortunately stopped her herb use; baby gets some breastmilk, about
2/3 AIM).

Now my reasoning is, that if this mom can further increase her milk supply
with use of herbal galactagogues, is this not safer than giving her baby
formula?  And likely, unbeknownst to him, formula is not approved by the FDA.  I have
numerous references on herbal galactagogues including, Hale, Humphrey's book,
conferences, etc, but where do I begin and how long do I spend looking for
research-based info?  This pedi has challenged me before with the comment that
he practices on research-based information (frenotomy being one of them, years
ago co-sleeping, until he did same with his own children).  So before I begin
to write him a letter and include resources, what might your suggestions be?
And how can I word things? (I do have some past posts by Barbara Wilson-Clay
that address these problems).

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC