From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:02:36 -0500
Hi Terri,
You say mom had cultures. What germ did they grow? Has MRSA been considered?
Also, has the baby's nasopharynx been cultured? Once in a while, I believe,
the baby has something that is re-infecting mom.
I would encourage mom to try the low dose antibiotic therapy. I agree
probiotics could be helpful too.
I would also try to meet with mom and review things in her lifestyle or
health that could be contributory. Some of these things would be: anemia,
general poor nutrition (for example, does she eat fruits and veggies, whole
grains, not just take a vitamin?), is she using any breast creams? does she
wear a too-tight bra? sleep in a bra? I believe that such clothing
restrictions contribute to milk stasis and poor draining of the breast.
Does she have any tendency, this time, to oversupply issues? Does she pump
and how well is she cleaning her pump parts? If pumping some of the time,
how effective is her pump? How stressed and over-tired is she? What are the
family dynamics? Does she have a helpful partner?
Hope you find some of this helpful. Best wishes to mom and baby,
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA