From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 08:26:55 -0500
Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, 157, Oct. 2003, 1031
"Odorants in Breast Milk"
"Infants can distinguish the odor of their mother's breast milk from that of other mothers.(1) However, infants prefer the odor of other mothers breast milk to that of formula. (2) "  and so on to describe an interesting study on premies about odorants in breast milk. "
"This research was supported by Grant HD 38901 from the NIH, Bethesda MD.  The Clinical Research Center ar Fletcher Allen Health Care/University of Vermont provided database support.

Dr. Bingham has obtained a patent for an odor-releasing pacifier which, though not the subject of this report, could be used in conjunction with the human breast milk odorants described here.

We gratefully acknowledge Phyllis Scribner, who assisted in the recruitment of subjects for this study."

So.............as Valerie often points out, their studies are interesting, but not altruistic!  They want to sell pacifiers that babies will LOVE!   AAARRRRGGGGHHHH in the words of our fav Canadian.

Another quote..."The universal attractiveness of breast milk odor to newborns suggests that specific odorants in breast milk may induce behavioral responses in infants.  Our findings may be used to compare the effects of breast milk odorants vs whole breast milk odor on nonnutritive sucking, a therapeutic activity for tube-fed, premature infants who experience relative deprivation of the normal feeding experience."  Sure give them a pacifier, forget Kangaroo Care, a pacifier is easier and we don't have to deal with all those mothers - good grief!

Pat in SNJ