From:
Hal Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 07:45:46 -0400
This is anecdotal, but we've been through this with most of our six
children.  They typically gain 12-15 oz a week in the first few months,
putting them "off the charts".  We have often heard concerns about
"overfeeding".  The funny thing is, then they almost never gain anything
between 6 months and 15 months, slimming right down.  Then we hear, "need to
supplement", "need solids", even though they are plenty big.  They generally
start gaining again after 15 months and now that they are toddlers to teens,
they are generally in the 95-99th percentile in weight *and* height.
Doctors are surprised.  I'm not.  Hal is 6'5" and I'm 5'9"!

It's wonderful now to say, "Remember when the others did this?", but that's
not much help to a first time mother :-)

Melanie

Melanie Young
LLLL, IBCLC
North Carolina, USA