From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:38:52 -0600
Ann,

Cholestasis will not interfere with this mother breastfeeding.  It is a
condition of pregnancy.  The mother's liver can't handle the extra load of
pregnancy, and her bile salts are excreted through the pores.  I had it with
my first and third children.  It is not benign, however; there is a high
rate of stillbirths correlated with it.  There was a helpful study done
published in GUT, a British med journal, which showed a lower incidence of
stillbirths and a resolution of the pruritis when mothers took Actigol.  But
she needs to start it asap, because it takes some time to work.  I have that
article somewhere.

It is a miserable condition, in which  absolutely nothing alleviates the
pruritis, except delivery.   You can't even sleep, the itching is so intense
and unrelenting.  Once the baby is born, symptoms disappear almost
immediately (w/n 24 hours). IME, it has no effect on lactation.

Feel free to pass my name & email on to this mom, if you like.

Warmly,

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Austin, TX