Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:38:16 +0100
Magda writes:

>I bought a UK mother and baby mag recently, there was a free packet of
>plastic 'weaning' spoons -- marked as suitable from 4 months.  All that
>packaging also has to change in line with the resolution (if the UK is going
>to take it seriously -- they have endorsed it officially, but I very much
>doubt it will be embraced with enthusiasm, understanding or even token
>obesiances).

I think before that happens, the UK and possibly other countries have
to take on board the fact that giving the same advice to
breastfeeding mothers and formula feeding mothers may not be helpful
to either.

There is a great resistance among some HPs in the UK that
breastfeeding babies  are actually different, physiologically and
nutritionally, from formula fed babies. They want to pretend that at
four months, they are all the same...and that what applies to formula
fed babies applies equally to breastfed babies.

I also deplore the lack of research into when a formula fed (or
partially formula fed) baby might actually need other foods...the WHA
resolution does not apply to them.

Common sense might suggest that formula fed babies might truly need
solid foods before breastfed babies, and who knows, they might even
be better off nutritionally getting solid foods *before* four
months...

Now, if this became 'official',  it would have a major commercial
impact. If babies who are formula fed start having other foods at
(say) three months in greater numbers, profits from formula will
reduce.

Some of these babies will be eating home prepared foods, and not
commercially-packaged jars of over-priced branded gloop, especially
in poorer countries.

I suspect manufacturers have a higher mark-up on formula than on
gloop,too,  so the longer they can keep  babies *on*  formula and
*off* solids (of whatever sort) the better.

Adopting the resolution means accepting that breastfed babies are
different from formula fed babies, and that is commercial and
professional dynamite - and I agree, Magda, its putting-into-practice
is unlikely to happen quickly.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK