From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:21:16 -0500
>Maureen Minchin IBCLC posted:
>What makes this problem possible is the way that the AAP must have talked
>about infant formula in this book. ...
>  I am sure that it will be
>like the ACOG guide for parents: no problems equating formula and
>breastmilk, and no guilt trips for mothers allowed. How many other
>breastfeeding books are equally industry-acceptable and no use to parents
>who need the real truth in plain language to influence their decisions?
>
>I hope to see devastating reviews of what has to be a lousy book in this
>essential area (or Ross would not be willing to circulate it). ... I am
>certain that if you
>try some linguistic analysis on the key areas you'll see why Ross wants to
>back it. I'll apologise publicly if the writing does not justify this
>criticism.

I've got a copy of this book and have read through about half, and I'll
vouch for it being very pro-breastfeeding and lukewarm, at best, about
formula. There are all of three references to formula in the book.

The most prominent is a table listing the comparative risks associated with
formula feeding versus breastfeeding. The other two references basically
acknowledge that formula exists as an option when a mother cannot
breastfeed. The text then goes on to explain that it's very rare that
formula is a medical necessity.

Consequently, I'm at a loss as to why Ross would want to distribute this
book. I'm further at a loss as to why AAP would contenance any involvement
with Ross's distribution. After the AMA-Sunbeam fiasco of a few years ago,
I'd think that medical societies would be gun-shy about any coporate liaisons.

Just my 2¢.

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett