From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:26:31 -0400
Betsy,
I do not see what you are not getting here, Betsy. You keep arguing
that IBCLCs should certainly question inaccurate information and that
the onus is on the doctor to prove himself and that most physicians
welcome such dialogue, etc. That may all be true, but according the
the SOP it is IRRELEVANT, b/c we are not allowed to do so. According
to the SOP, we cannot have this dialogue no matter how much you think
it is reasonable to do so!

Furthermore, I find it odd that you imagine the IBLCE is trying to
"weed out" as you put it, when they pass almost everyone who takes
the test. That would be an obvious contradiction, IMO. It would make
a lot more sense to have a more useful evaluation tool and "weed out"
before the a candidate ever sits the exam. If that is indeed the
intent, then only those HCPs who have added IBCLC as another set of
initials will remain and most of the very best, most competent,
innovative, forward-thinking and effective IBCLCs will be gone. Now,
I wonder just who that would serve?

You argue that these SOP protect mothers and babies! Are you serious?
They protect only inept doctors, b/c as you say, the others will
maintain their dialogue with us (albeit perhaps in secret in darkened
hallways). Oh, actually, it has occurred to me that the new SOP also
protects the AIM companies, although I certainly hope that is just by
accident and not by design. After all, if only those very few docs
who are IBCLCs and hospital-based nurse IBCLCs (who can only question
docs so long as they do so under their RN licenses and not as IBCLCs)
can practice, breastfeeding rates will plummet. Personally, I am just
as happy to drop the initials if they carry such a useless
connotation, although I sure would like my money back for the test I
just took. Hey, I just realized something--maybe Betsy is right--b/c
that would be a successful weeding out process, wouldn't it?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA