From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 10:55:05 -0500
>  Anyway, she arrived
>at the hospital to find that they began feeding her yesterday morning,
>but with a pre-digested Artificial Baby Milk rather than mom's own
>pumped milk.

Was this against parent's expressed wishes?  Was it ordered by doctor
without consultation with parents?  I feel a lawsuit coming on. . . .

>This mother is very disappointed.

She should be angry and outraged, not just disappointed.

  Is
>there any research which shows that breastmilk is O.K. for babies in
>this situation?

Is there any research that shows the pre-digested Artificial Baby Milk is
O.K. for babies in this situation?  The dangers of NEC are real and scary.
This baby should be getting its mother's milk, from her breast!!! and the
parents should be getting a lawyer.

Call Pris Bornmann, lawyer, in Washington DC for advice on how to proceed.
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University