From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:06:52 +0000
Jan Riordan has a nice discussion about BF assessment scales in the 3rd edition of BF and Human lactation, pages 598-600 and 618-619.  Both IBFAT and Latch are considered reliable and useful in the clinical setting for full term babies. IBFAT scores of 9-12 are considered to be an effective feeding.

There is also an example of the PREMIE BF Assessment on page 393 and The Preterm Infant BF Behavior Scale (PIBBS) on page 407.

I have not worked with the IBFAT and I don't think that the LATCH is that useful for preterm infants.  It might be more useful for near term babies if that baby is quite vigorous.  I think that use of an accurate scale might give you more definitive information.

I'm glad to hear that this little baby seems to be succeeding at breastfeeding.  I'm sure your support has helped.  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC   > Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:16:20 -0500> From: Shana <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: IBFAT - Near term baby - Post-discharge Follow-up> > Small update:> > I spoke with this mom and she reported that the infant is now suckling at=> > breast for 15-20 mins/breast with audible swallowing, vigorous sucking an=> d> adequate output. Infant will be seen tomorrow for first post-dc checkup.> > > Still wondering if the clinical use of the IBFAT is advisable or not?>