From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:00:24 -0400
On Jul 24, 2005, at 9:05 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Prolactin levels never correlate with milk production - no point.
>
> Nancy
> Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM, FAAP
> Neonatologist, Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Children's
> Hospital
> Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services
> San Diego, CA

Yes it's true that prolactin levels don't vary directly with milk yield
but I was wondering more the relationship between prolactin levels
and the establishment and maintenance of the permissive state...

Like Heather and and Kerri I have seen milk production run the gamut in
mothers who have a *diagnosis* of PCOS,
one mom, a LLLL, told me she was diagnosed with *high* prolactin levels
so while she used fertility medicine to conceive
she never once worried about her ability to lactate...and sure enough
she had plenty of milk..

Other women that come to mind fit the insulin resistant profile,
but I usually tend to think of these moms separately because while
there is a delay in onset,
and yield problems they do make milk...

The only commonality I can find among mothers who appear to make no
milk at all is PCOS...
but I even hesitate to say PCOS with any conviction because these moms
don't fit the PCOS profile other then that they conceived with
difficulty,
and in most instances their diagnosis seems tentative...like "my doctor
said I *might have* PCOS..."

I agree with Heather that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...
I don't  want every woman with a *diagnosis* of PCOS to believe that
she won't be able to breastfeed...
For me the proof is always in the pudding...

Still when that unusual women comes along who is *doing every thing
right* and is making no milk
I find, like Esther,  these moms *need* a reason...they need to *know*
that it wasn't anything they *did wrong*...
I really don't like offering PCOS as the explanation because I don't
want them telling every woman
  they know with a PCOS *diagnosis* that they too won't be able to
breastfeed...

So I was looking for something more specific to offer these mothers as
an explanation and I was wondering if prolactin levels might be
*it*...Lisa Marasco's study seems to be offering a tentative *no* but
we have to reserve judgement because of the small n. Any other leads?

Jen O'Quinn IBCLC