From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:15:24 +1100
Hi Pam,
Just a few points. As I am sure you know, the Code was instituted in 1981
but it has been continuously updated since then. There have been plenty of
opportunities since to remove feeding bottled from the scope but this has
not been done because bottles themselves continue to pose a real threat to
the lives of babies in many parts of the world. And while there may be the
possibility of expressed breastmilk feeding, this is not primarily what
bottles are used for anywhere! I reiterate again, that the Code is not about
availability or choice, it is about marketing. And I am aware that the
bottles being discussed have not just been marketed in Europe and N America
but also in the Middle East and who knows where else??? This is an
International Code and although it is far from ideal and very patchily
enforced, solidarity is required amongst those who understand how important
breastfeeding is. The strong should support the weak.
I'd also note that we've yet to see the end of the marketing practices of
Medela. I first raised concerns about marketing of breastpumps that I felt
undermined breastfeeding some 3 years ago and in fact predicted at that time
that there was more and worse coming. I felt like the crone in the corner
croaking "beware, beware" and was almost roundly dismissed because "these
are our friends." Well we've seen that this is just not the case. Just wait,
there's more coming.
Karleen Gribble
Australia