From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:49:50 -0500
I got a call today from a mom in Japan with SEVERELY EXCORIATED NIPPLES!
She got my number from one of my clients.  I have pictures I can send you of
her nipples.  Basically, the shaft of the nipple is blood red/oozing/ as if
it has been circumcized.  The clinic gave her a gentamycin cream to put on
her nipples.  I have her going back to the clinic today for oral
antibiotics.  She has had fever x4days.  Baby is 11 days old.  I told her
not to let baby go near those nipples.  They are formula feeding currently,
until nipples heal.  She has been manually expressing last 4 days and today
got a manual pump, which also is too painful.  I encouraged her to apply
pressure to breasts, allowing milk to be removed, but staying away from the
nipples. This isnt enough to maintain her supply, but should allow some milk
to escape for relief.  If we can get her healed, then she could work on
increasing her supply again.  Also recommended ibuprofen, which her mom
happened to have.  (and soaking breast in bowl of diluted saline water
2xday)

She is in Tohoku region of Japan in North Eastern part. They will be back in
America in 20 days.  On July 28th they will be in Sendai, and on July 30th
and 31st they will be in Tokoyo.  Their email address is:  [log in to unmask]
Moms name is Mary.  Please email me if you can help them, and I can give you
their cell number if you don't get a response from their email.

Her nipples are the absolute worse that I have ever seen.  Nothing in the
books are as bad as these!

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC
Austin,TX