From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:35:39 -0800
I think we should call it formula, or as  someone suggested "Artificial
Infant Formula". It seems that calling it any kind of "milk" is giving it
more credit than it deserves - it's really a bunch of chemicals mixed
together.

When pediatricians deal with adolescents and discuss smoking, one thing that
has found to be effective is the tell the adolescent what the tobacco
companies are trying to do.  Ex: They give you T-shirts and water bottles
and trinkets and other neat stuff to win your loyalty and make it seem like
cigarettes are cool; They put nicotine in cigarettes because they know it's
addictive and if they can get you to try it [free packs] they stand a good
chance of getting you hooked and then they can collect money from you until
you get old [and die from some smoking related illness]. They are trying to
use you and your friends to make their profit. After I tell them this I say
"Don't let yourself get suckered".

I approach formula companies the same way.  I tell new parents [or
parents-to-be if I see them that early] that their new baby has already been
targeted by the formula companies.  I say that if they've filled out any
"new parent" or "expecting a baby" things that they've seen in the grocery
store or mall or gotten from their OB's office, they've run into the
marketing that formula companies do.  The formula companies want your due
date so they can send you formula especially if you are breastfeeding. They
know that you are likely to use [and stay with] the brand you have on hand.
They also know that supplementing breastfeeding with formula will cause a
decrease in the duration of breastfeeding. That's why they make those little
bags to take home from the hospital with formula in them. They know that
having formula "on hand" makes it very easy in a tired or unsure moment to
supplement with it. That is also why they send a case of "ready to feed" to
your home right about the time your baby should be having his first growth
spurt. This is a time when baby will want to feed frequently to upgrade your
supply -and moms that don't realize this is happening think their milk is
drying up and start to supplement with formula. And once you stop
breastfeeding, you're a formula customer  'til the baby is a year old.  A
case of formula may seem like a generous gift on the surface, but it's
selfserving for the formula companies at your baby's expense. I then go on
to say that it doesn't seem very honest to be collecting information this
way - under the guise of "new mom's club" or whatever and that I hate to see
new parents and new babies taken advantage of.

Telling it like it is...

Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC
York, PA