Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:09:18 -0700
I accidently trashed my LACTNET with some of the "best profession" posts,
but there was one from a an LLLL who was thinking of becoming a Peds office
RN in hopes to promote breastfeeding.  I wear two hats:  RN and LC.
Granted the two together are advantageous at times.  For example, I can
take verbal orders from docs, call pharmacies, etc.  However, the times I
have the most influence with breastfeeding moms is when I am in the LC
role.  When I am doing LC'ing, my focus is on the breastfeeding dyad.  In
the RN role, I am pulled in lots of different directions.  For example in
the RN role I may work with a breastfeeding mom who is  a diabetic.  I need
to draw her lab work, notify the docs of lab results, monitor the IV rate,
give her insulin, etc., etc.  Fitting helping her to breastfeed into the
picture often becomes a task done much quicker than I'd like.  As an LC
with the same patient, I can focus on teaching her about diabetes and
breastfeeding, while nursing takes care of the medical problems.  I consult
with nursing and we work together to create a plan for this diabetic mom.
I hope this is making sense.  As a peds office nurse, you will be
responsible for shuffling patients, drawing blood, giving immunizations,
telephone triage, loads of paperwork, etc.  Where will you find the time to
really help  a breastfeeding mom?  As an LC, you can network with the peds,
educate peds and nurses, work in research, etc.  I realize we are a
profession still in its infancy, but the field of lactation consulting was
created to fill a great void.  My understanding is that IBLCE and ILCA are
working on an educational program that will help to create consistency in
the educational background of all LCs.  If we want to promote
breastfeeding, we have to promote the field of lactation consulting.   In a
perfect world, the peds or nurse would be able to identify a breastfeeding
problem(because the LC has educated them) and refer the patient to an LC;
much the same as referals are made for physical therapy or social services.
 We're not there yet on a consistent basis -- it does happen more than it
used to though -- but with study, research, time, and effort, we can make
it happen.

My .02

Donna Zitzelberger RN BSN IBCLC
climbing down off the soapbox