From:
Julie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:32:43 -0800
Calling all Wise and Needed Ladies, I need help pretty fast here: Did a private consult yesterday. I thought I had all the answers but mom just called me this morning in tears. 3 week home delivered baby who has been screaming since day one.  Sometimes up to 8-10 hours. Peds diagnosised reflux and colic for this exclusively breastfed baby. This baby has the hardest time burping... tried all the tricks. I thought it was milk allergies but this all this started since day one.  Mom pumps once a day and gets 2 ounces 30 minutes after a feed. (Mom going back to work…L&D nurse.) Baby poops like there is no tomorrow.  The baby’s usual routine is fighting to latch. Bobs head around, fussy, can’t seem to aim right. This can go on for about 1 hour. Once latches, the baby fusses and cries, bites down at breasts, pulls and tugs the nipple. Loud audible gulps and some clicking. Great breasts and the most perfect nipple I have ever seen. Go mom! However, this baby appears to never be satisfied according to mom and dad. The baby will cry for hours on end without relief and will stop due to exhaustion. Baby on milicon and it sorta helps some of the time. I went over yesterday and addressed the concerns and thought it was gassiness due to over active let down and the crying.  This baby has great output! Used all the techniques for preventing spitting up, and reduce the symptoms of over active let down. When I was there, baby was so restless. Nothing calmed the baby down except the breast some of the time, baby eats or fusses, baby was more calm with a tight wrap vs. skin to skin. I have never seen such an unsettled baby. The only thing according to parents was that the baby seems the calmest with the pacifier. I thought if we can get the baby to stop screaming to decrease air bubbles then possible less fighting at the breasts I didn't have the problem with the pacifier as last resort if that stops the continual crying.  The baby preferred the pacifier over the finger.  I then get a call from mom in tears and she said that the baby won't nurse, or take the finger to suck on for non nutritive or nutritive sucking, won't cup feed, won't take the pacifier, won't calm down and has been crying for hours. Anything come to mind?  Nothing is helping.  Mom said that she is so frustrated and she is literally freaking out. ...Her mom is coming over right now to help. I feel like a ninny for not figuring this out. Thanks and I appreciate all advice privately and on-line!!
Julie Johnson:IBCLC