From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:32:48 -0500
At least, finally, the CPS's true colours are there for everyone to see.

Here is a sentence from a letter that Dr. Victor Marchessault sent me in
1992.

"You may not know that the Canadian Paediatric Society's official
position is against the practice of gift packs".

Here is a sentence from the President' Corner of the Canadian Paediatric
Society News Bulletin (volume XXIV, February 1993), written by Dr.
Robert Haslam, former chief of staff of the Hospital for Sick Children:

"In my mind, the most vexing issue relates to the distribution of 'free
samples' of formufla to the new mother, including those breastfeeding at
the time of discharge from hospital.  That act of 'goodwill' must convey
a pwoerful message to the mother and she may feel her paediatrician was
behind the gift".

Now that the pack is given at the first visit, there won't be any doubt
in her mind, will there.

Another president of the CPS, writing in the President's Corner in the
Buletin of April 1992.

"Direct advertising urging parents to use milk is a way to confuse new
mothers who face many challenges with the birth of thier child".

In a letter sent to all paediatricians members of the CPS, dated January
22, 1992, Dr. Marchessault writes,

"We have been informed that the Nestle/Carnation company is sending
coupons to mothers to be exchanged for a sample of Carnation's followup
formula

Our concern, at the CPS secretariat, is that the other milk
companies...might decide to follow suit".

Enclosed was a postcard to send to the Minister of Health, Benoit
Bouchard.  Who do you think paid for this little exercise?

Anyhow, these are direct quotes from letter I have in my possession.  If
you wish to quote them, feel free.  Don't expect the hypocrites at the
CPS to be moved, though.  Money talks, breastfeeding mothers cry.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC