From:
"Brian H. Kennedy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 18:26:48 -0400
Does anyone (especially physicians or pharmacists) have information on the
safety of Stelazine for a breastfeeding mother of a 2 week old baby. The
mother has been on my caseload for only 24 hours (I'm a public health
nurse) and she has postpartum psychosis. She has just been diagnosed by a
G.P. and will see a psychiatrist in 2 days. She is at home with husband
who is there 24 hours a day. She may have to be hospitalized, but I saw
her breastfeed the baby yesterday before starting the Stelazine and she
was loving and affectionate and handled the baby well and seemed to follow
information re improving position and latch.

The G.P. wants her to stop breastfeeding, but the mother really wants to,
so the Dr. advised her to pump and discard the milk. I will have to go
into the home tomorrow to assess everything, but does anyone know about
the Stelazine (Trifluoperazine)? I have an older copy (1989?) of the AAP
guidelines, and I didn't see anything about Stelazine there- just some
information about other antipsychotics, which indicated they should be
used with caution.

I look forward to your input.

Maureen Kennedy BScN IBCLC