From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 03:49:06 -0500
I am sorry to post twice on this and be a pest but I meant to add that I
think sometimes breastmilk is used as a poster child for how polluted our
environment is, and to the detriment of both causes. I don't think there
will be much public outcry over *possible* pollution in a substance that
only about 2 in 5 American babies receives a significant amount of. Instead,
it could only serve to lower that stat even more. I think we need to be
careful of exploiting breastmilk and the idea of sick babies for political
consciousness raising. Speaking about this subject among lactivists and
committed nursing mothers is totally different than "the rest" of the
country - which see only further reasons to "test" breastmilk and glorify
the man-made, pure substitute. *We* know that doesn't mean that anyone
should not breastfeed, we know that a baby or child is more likely to be
exposed to PBDE while breathing on a heavily doped crib mattress or car seat
cushion. But then I get my unsolicited copy of American Baby (a fine
publication) and right after the cover story on choosing formula, there's a
news flash about how "contaminated" bmilk is, and mothers breastfeeding
shouldn't "wear nail polish" (Jan '02 issue)

Wishing *I* had some flame retardant,

Michelle DePesa