From:
"Johnson, Martha (PHMG)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:14:19 -0800
Hi Rob,
I work at a freestanding birth center with Certified Nurse Midwives, and it
is our policy (always has been) to offer a Vit K injection as part of the
routine newborn care.  Some of our families refuse it, and we have them sign
a waiver that has detailed info about clotting disorders,signs they should
be looking for after discharge, and when to seek followup if a clotting
disorder is suspected.
  The town I live in also has a very active community of lay midwives, and
it has been my observation that they are divided on this issue, some give
the Vit. K, others do not.
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene, Oregon