Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:57:33 -0600
A big thank you to all of you who replied, both to the list and privately,
to my post about the baby who was doing funny stuff at 5-6 minutes into the
feeding.  I shared your thoughts and she came to a conclusion.

She feels that his bahavior fits with the slowed flow after the first MER.
Sometimes when he has jerked off the breast he "forgot" to release the
nipple.  She said that she anticipates this event and it is probably
inhibiting the next MER.  She added that he hasn't done it at night, when
she is so sleepy, and when she goes to an upstairs bedroom in the day time
to feed alone.

She said that if she is in the den on the sofa and the 4 year old is there,
the phone is ringing, and her husband, who works at home, is busy, and mom
is up tight, it is more likely to happen.

My suggestions, based on some of your suggestions and a few of my own were:

Turn the clock around so that she doesn't see that 5-6 minute time coming.

Stimulate the other nipple to help with the mer.

Take deep, full-body breaths to help her relax as soon as she detects
slowed swallowing.

Use breast compression to assure him that there is more milk and go
facilitate suckling that will initiate an MER.

Take him off the breast when she sees the problem beginning so that he
doesn't hurt the nipple.

And, my tried and true, use Rescue Remedy to aid in a breaking the
conditioned response of her delayed MER. She liked the idea of its calming
effects.

So, you were all most helpful and this mom is most grateful.  I also
appreciate your taking time to reflect on something that isn't *major*, but
which subtracts from this mother's enjoyment of feeding her baby.

You're Good!

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]