From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 18:34:25 -0500
Hi All!

Have a really strange case for you.  I need help with this one, as does
friend Karen.
Baby is 5 mo old.  3 days ago he started breaking out in hives at every
feeding (BF), the hives would show up then disappear between feeds.  The
hives are predominantly on his face and head with one or two on his neck and
tummy.  (Dr. dx hives over the phone)  Mom says baby gets real red then
breaks out in bumps that are white.
These are the only changes in the last 4 days:
*Carpets got cleaned
*Mom stresses because she just found out her episiotomy STILL hasn't healed
(She  had a 2nd surgery to try and fix it and it didn't work {on 11-16} she
had an IV antibiotic  at that time, but none since)
*Baby has ear infection and has been on Amoxicillan for 8 days
*Today at daycare, baby was given frozen HM (yes they thawed it first:)  )
and NO hives.

I asked mom about changes in diet, detergents, deoderants, perfume, dryer
sheets, toothpaste ( :D) , etc., but nothing has changed.
Baby does spit up a lot, and mom drinks a lot of milk, so I suggested that
she try eliminating dairy from her diet to see if that would help the
spitting up.
Could this be a case of the babys system is allergic, but not overly so, and
he just got overloaded on allergens?  If so, would dairy be the only
allergen, or is there something else that we overlooked?
Mom is concerned about the hives and wants them to cease and desist!
BTW, her Ped said that breastmilk was not the cause and that she should NOT
stop BF!
Help!  Is there anything that we missed?  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm
stumped!

TIA!!
Jay