From:
Jill Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 22:35:45 -0600
        ...& there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field,
keeping watch over their flock of BREASTFEEDING lambs by night.  And, lo,
the angel of the Lord came upon them, & the glory of the Lord shone round
about them & they were sore afraid (because *FORMULA co.* was trying to
push lamb FORMULA on the ewes).  And the angel said unto them, fear not:
for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all
people.  For unto you is born this day in the City of David a saviour which
is Christ the Lord.  And his mother, Mary, is BREASTFEEDING him.  And this
shall be a sign unto you, that this is the normal way to feed a baby.  Ye
shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes & lying in a manger.  And
suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising
God (for the many miracles of birth & a woman's ability to BREASTFEED - & a
man's ability to support it --{just added that after recent posts on males
& bf}... & saying, glory to God in the highest, & on earth peace, good will
toward all people (modified from Luke 2:8-14).
        This was the message in our Nutrition-WIC Dept. Christmas cards.  We
mostly get chuckles from people, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone that I
tinkered with the wording.  A lady who is Jewish read this story and shared
with me that Issac had a weaning ceremony at age 7.  Also, I was excited to
hear the Koran has instructions to breastfeed for 30+ months.  If anyone
can confirm or correct this last bit for me, feel free, although I think
oral tradition is just as worthwhile as the written page.
        Happy Holidays from someone who didn't breastfeed kids (I don't have any).
I did breastfeed briefly!!  (at my mom's breast back in 1962)    Thanks to
all of you who want everyone in society to support breastfeeding!!  It is
well known that converts often make the most powerful allies.  A woman who
formula fed, but wished she would've known enough or gotten enough support
to breastfeed is often a woman who will go on to try breastfeeding or
encourage her daughter to breastfeed.  "Loving Support Makes Breastfeeding
Work" (Best Start/USDA National Breastfeeding Promotion Campaign Slogan)
Jill Lund, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, WIC Program