From:
kym smythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:29:39 -0400
Yes, I saw the piece on yesterday morning's Good Morning America Show -
thanks to a quick call from Teriann Shell.

The "reporter" was one of the authors of "What to Expect When You're
Expecting".  The segment was quite positive overall.  There were tiny
interviews with women who cited many of the benefits.   Many of them
talked of how they were nursing longer than they had intended because it
was such a great experience - even longer than a year!  The
AAP Guidelines were mentioned too.  There was even a discussion of
"extended" nursing and how it is culturally unusual in the US but rather
common in many other cultures.  They went so far as to state that there
was no point in time at which nursing could become detrimental to mom or
child.  The host of the show also mentioned the hundreds of components
of breastmilk.

The reporter was a bit mistaken when discussing the IQ issue.  She
suggested that the differences in IQs were probably due to factors other
than the milk.  She was obviously unaware of the research done with
babies getting breastmilk with no actual breastfeeding.

While the information, and even the interviews, was generally accurate,
informative and positive, there was one catch.  The promos that aired
earlier in the show and the host's lead in comments referred to the
controversy or conflict around breastfeeding research.  Of course they
never talked about the controversy because, as we all know, there is
none!  Such a shame they always have to try to create a controversy!

They did mentioned the "g" word (guilt).  One of the nursing mothers
interviewed said she felt sorry for the women who chose not to nurse and
felt guilty about it, because there is so much pressure to breastfeed.
I would love to know where these women live.  There is nowhere near
enough pressure to breastfeed where I live!

What did other folks think of it?

Kym C Smythe, IBCLC
New Castle, DE, USA
where we have discovered a new use for a nursing stool - Kendall and
Carlie stand on it to nurse while I catch up on my Lactnet.