From:
Cheryl Taylor White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:57:09 EST

From:    Ghislaine Reid  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: JKA antibody

Recently, a pregnant mother has been told, by her OBGYN and the  hospital's
hematologist that she has the JKa antibody and that she should  not
breastfeed since her baby would most certainly suffer from a prolonged
jaundice.

I tend to disagree with this recommendation. To ensure that  my reflex was
correct, I consulted various colleagues and browsed the  Internet to find
further information. On the Web, the information is scarce  concerning
breastfeeding and the JKa antibody.>>>>

Even if OBGYN and hospital hematologist were  concerned about prolonged
jaundice being a possibility, would it not make more  sense (given their concern
whether founded or not)  to suggest monitoring  baby's bilirubin levels while
breastfeeding instead of throwing the baby out  with the bathwater so to speak?

Cheryl Taylor White, CBE
_www.drjaygordon.com_ (http://www.drjaygordon.com)