From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:50:09 -0500
Jane Hedges wrote:
> I spoke with a Mom today who has a baby age 7mo. old. Baby developed oral
> thrush 1.5 months ago. Mom has no symptoms. The pair has tried gentian
> violet on two occasions and has just finished Nystatin, only to find white
> patches in baby's mouth still present.
>
> Her doctor has informed her that thrush in babies her age is uncommon.

Unfortunately, in most cultures, *breastfeeding* in babies her age is
uncommon ... which is probably a good reason the doctor seldom sees babies
of that age with thrush. I'd be curious to see the doctor's resources
showing that thrush in older babies is uncommon for any other reason beyond
pure demographics ...

Karen Z. will have some helpful ideas on this, if she's here. If not, I
found her Leaven article from about 6 months ago (maybe longer?) -- which
you've probably seen -- invaluable ...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

 Also
> that if the thrush continues to occur they will have to look at other
> medical reasons such as the possiblilty of diabetes.
>
> I have given her all the info. I have. Have any of you heard of thrush
> being a sign of diabetes? Mom seems quite concerned and I could find
> nothing in my literature.

Never. I'd be curious to hear if there's anything to it. I wonder if she
would be interested in asking her doctor for a reference on this, so she
could learn more about it (and we all could)?

The mom herself might find this NB article helpful:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSepOct98p139.html

I know from experience how frustrating chronic thrush can be -- we coped
with it for six weeks. In our case, Diflucan did the trick.

Good luck --
Janice Berry
Westerville, OH