From:
Tim Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:35:01 -0400
Lynne Swoope posted regarding the formula reps offering CEU classes to
the nurses at the hospital on topics such as infant abduction, infant
safety, etc.  I work at the sister hospital across town and just found
out that my Nurse Manager (who was instrumental in getting the reps off
of the floor) okayed two CEU classes per year by one of the companies,
thus far.  I was EXTREMELY disappointed (upset and disappointed). For
every step forward there seems to be one backward.
I already gave her the WHO code.  How have others handled this?   I know
Lynne is "fuming" also.

Next week we (LC's) start to educate the Dr offices.  I feel less
enthused than I did before I received this info. We'll be telling them
the importance of Breastfeeding and how formula companies work to "win"
people over.....yet, here we will be providing them a room to continue
their brainwashing to our staff.  You can bet there will be food and
"gifts"!  (Even though our Nurse Manager stated in email it is unethical
to accept gifts from them.)  AAARRRRGGGG!

Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE in soggy S. Fla.