From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:45:30 -0400
For those in foreign countries, WIC is a nutrition and food supplement program for Women, Infants, and Children, a Federal supported program reaching into every state in the USA.   It was first piloted in the early l970s and grew by leaps and bounds as health professionals found it was a way to help pregnant women and breastfeeding women with the specific foods issued;  milk, cheese, cereal, eggs, juice, beans and peanut butter, plus nutrition information from qualified nutritionists and dietitians.   WIC also is a referral agency which connects women and their families to other services to help them.   WIC reduced the level of child anemia from somewhere about 30-40% depending on the area of the country, to less than l0% in most places.  Nearly 40% of all babies born in the US are on the WIC program.

The silly part is:   Nearly every night I turn on our computer and read my Lactnet mail before going to bed, or sometimes I do it right after I get home from work.  I save some, print some, and answer some.   My husband says to me that this is turning our computer into a "boob tube"...    For those of you not familiar with US slang, that's what people refer to a TV as--since that's what you become if you watch too much, a real boob.   BUT, it is also a slang term for breasts!    Maybe it lost something in the explanation, but seemed pretty funny to me.     Michelle Scott    [log in to unmask]