From:
Khalid Aziz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:42:41 -0330
Dear Lactnetters,

I cannot agree more about the lack of advocacy for breastfeeding at the
grass roots level.  As a neonatologist who is (rarely) asked by hospital
administration about breastfeeding policy I am disappointed by the lack of
organized consumerism.  I encourage families, whether pleased or
disappointed, to write constructive letters to me or the hospital about
their stay.  Most hospital administrators want the please their clients and
would agree that one helpful letter is worth 6 months of committee meetings.
Administration is usually on our side when it comes to promotion of
breastfeeding and minimizing intervention:  they just have a multitude of
other equally important problems on their minds (like budgets and people's
jobs).  A good letter allows them to focus on a problem and see a resolution.

In 3 years as an medical administrator for a nursery I was very disappointed
as I only received 3 such letters.  All of them received careful and
immediate attention and positively impacted on care.  They gave us
ammunition to promote good breastfeeding practices and administration were
pleased with the improved quality of care.

I strongly recommend that you put constructive comments/criticisms in
writing so that birthing institutions can continue to evolve in a favorable
direction.

(I hope I don't get strung up for saying this!)

Khalid

Khalid Aziz
Memorial University of Newfoundland