From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:50:04 -0500
Ooooh, I am so excited!  In the midst of catching up with Lactnet on my day
off, I got the mail in and just watched the new video on positioning I
ordered from Childbirth Graphics.  It's wonderful!  It's what I've been
trying to find for breastfeeding class for the last several years!  :D  It
clearly shows, step by step, how to bring the baby to up to the breast,
where to aim the nipple, (positioning a la Royal College of Midwives) and
is my idea of the perfect length, 12 minutes.   They show positioning in
cross-cradle, underarm and lying down, but NOT the regular cradle position.

If somebody else has shared this info, my apologies, I was off Lactnet for
a time.  The video is "Breastfeeding:  A Guide to Successful Positioning"
and is produced by Mark-It Television, the same folks who produced
"Breastfeeding:  Coping With the First Week" and "Breastfeeding:  Dealing
With The Problems."  We've been using the "Coping" video on postpartum
since it first came out, and many mothers have found its visuals very
helpful.  This new video was not available at ILCA last summer with the
other two, so must be fairly recent.

For years I used Medela's positioning video for class but it was getting so
I was adding so many qualifiers that I stopped (you don't have to slam the
baby on the breast, stop jiggling the breast when the baby opens wide,
baby's chin needs to be into the breast not his nose, etc. [with apologies
to Chele]).  Since then I've shown parts of Linda Smith's video, parts of
"Coping," parts of a Norwegian (?) film, but never been satisfied that it
was exactly what I wanted.

Childbirth Graphics number is 800-299-3366 ext 287 if you don't get their
catalogs.  Since this is a British film I assume it is available from other
places, also.  Cost is not cheap, but reasonable.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, Appleton, Wisconsin