Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:37:06 -0500
 Barbara and Georgia,
In homeopathy there is no separation, as in allopathy, between the emotional and physical life of the individual. So, if a homeopath were treating, much more would come into play that her physical condition.
But, phytolacca works so well for most women because it is particular to the "glandular system" and the breasts and nipples.
From :
http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Phyt
"Aching, soreness, restlessness, prostration, are general symptoms guiding to Phytolacca Decandra. Pre-eminently a glandular remedy. Glandular swellings with heat and inflammation. Has a powerful effect on fibrous and osseous tissues; fasciae and muscle sheaths; acts on scar tissue."
Also:
"Cracks and small ulcers about nipples
Breast is hard, painful and of purple hue
Mammary abscess"

Ignatia is less likely to work for so many women, b/c it addresses a more narrow mental image.

"Produces a marked hyperaesthenia of all the senses, and a tendency to clonic spasms. Mentally, The emotional element is uppermost, and co-ordination of function is interfered with. Hence, it is one of the chief remedies for hysteria. It is especially adapted to the nervous temperament - women of sensitive, easily excited nature, dark, mild disposition, quick to perceive, rapid in execution. Rapid change of mental and physical condition, opposite to each other. Great contradictions. Alert, nervous, apprehensive, rigid, trembling patients who suffer acutely in mind or body"

One would generally need a broader knowledge of homeopathy to use more specific remedies. Most mothers expect homeopathic remedies to work like drugs and think a remedy will do a certain thing for everyone. They are not likely to try several remedies, so unless your have someone who generally uses homeopathy or who is willing to try various remedies (including purchasing them), you need to be sure you have the right remedy the first time.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC