From:
Deborah S-Q <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 13:22:43 -0400
Previously on LActnet:

"But, in reality I find the biggest obstacle =
NOT in the quantity of
milk being produced, but in trying to RE-establish a mom's self =
confidence in herself and in her ability
to produce an adequate milk supply. Therefore, any type of equipment =
enabling the mom to keep baby at
the breast IMHO would be the method of choice. WE know she can do it. =
SHE and those around her have to be convinced."

I have seen, several times, the mother's self-confidence be negatively
affected by the use of supplements despite the fact that breastfeeding was
still continuing. The mother can lose her ability to believe in her own
capacity to make milk when she supplements;  I have even seen this in a mom
who was supplementing with her own milk.  It was very difficult to convince
her that baby was doing fine & she didn't need to pump anymore & top him up.
  In fact, she did quit, for about a day.  I was feeling so badly for her.
She asked me if I would still be her friend if she quit. And I said of
course and added , after awhile, "but you don't seem very happy with your
decision to quit." Then, she decided to keep trying.
I realize that supplementation may be necessary at times but I believe it is
done many times when it is not needed.
Deborah Sowery-Quinn
Canada