From:
Rachel Pfab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:25:11 -0500
I had a Mom who was trying to breast feed.  Her nipples were somewhat flat
and inverted when "pinched."  She was pumping before feeds   and that
pulled her nipples out well.  The baby would try to latch, suck a few,
pull off and continue trying.  Sometimes the baby would get very frustated
and start to cry.  Mom had had some kind of surgery on one breast.  The
breasts felt somewhat hard almost as though they were engorged however,
the area around the areola was soft.   Mom did not get any colostrum when
pumping after these "feeds."  I also had her try to manually express with
no results just like the pump.  The baby was greater then a day old.  I
saw one wet diaper with a small smear of stool.  I also advised skin to
skin.  Baby seldom would wake up.  When we dripped glucose water on the
nipple, she eagerly licked the nipples to get the water. She was very
alert and aggressive with the glucose water.  She couldn't get enough. She
also eagerly ate some glucose water in an ortho syringe with the Mom's
finger.  That was the  only time I saw her real alert. Unfortunalty, I was
there only that one day.  I don't know if things have progressed or not.
I'm curious if other people have not seen colostrum but that it was there.
I was seiously beginging to think that she wasn't producing anything.
Perhaps it was delayed.  Mom had a great attitide about it all and was
willing to keep trying.
                               Thanks,
                             Rachel Pfab, RN,IBCLC