From:
Jodie Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:08:20 +1100
        Cindy, It seems to me another case of Health professionals not
trusting breast milk and what about the message they are giving the mothers.
Babies of diabetic mothers, when allowed to suckle frequently at the breast
and kept close to their mothers (skin to skin), will maintain their blood
sugars better than seperated and given formula.  As long as they monitor the
baby's blood sugar frequently and ensure frequent breast feeds, then only
inteven if necessary, the baby's blood sugars should be OK. If the baby is
seperated from the mother for other medical reasons, the mother should be
expressed and this given. I am sure Mareen can tell us of the dangers of
giving formula especially when it is unwarented . This mangement has been
working well for all diabetic mothers we work with. Jodie