From:
Laurena Typusiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:30:22 -0800
I have to chime in with my story...

I was at a family gathering with my 17 mo old nursling.  For various
personal reasons I was in no state to hear any unsupportive words from
anyone, and knowing my family well I decided that it was very important to
me that no one figured out we were still nursing.

Every time my son tripped, or lost me in the crowd, or got hungry, or showed
any of the signs that he was soon going to start demanding "nurse" louder
and louder until I paid heed, I scooped him up and made my way to a private
corner (my vehicle, the stairwell, anywhere I could hide).

I thought I was doing very well until we sat down across from my cousin and
her husband, and the dialogue proceeded as follows:

(Him) "Are you still nursing?"

(Me, surprised but pleased with his liberal attitude and direct manner)
"Why, yes!"

(Him)  "How do you like it?"

(Me, a little taken aback) "Good, it's working for us."

(Him) "What do you do with your son?"

(Me) "HUH?"...

(Him) "Aren't they 12 hour shifts?"

Whoops, that was my ex-hsuband who is a nurse, not me.  So sorry, cover
blown.

Laurena