From:
laura Scarborough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 03:45:31 EDT
In a message dated 7/21/98 8:01:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Has anyone else observed " 3rd baby syndrome" ?  ie: 3rd baby seems to
 throw mom for a loop, has trouble coping etc.  Subsequent babies are no
 problem at all, just seem to  fit right into  family.  I've seen this a
 lot.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ >>

What, have you been observing my home life???

I would say based upon my own experience as well as my clients, yes, for some
moms that 3rd baby seems to "unsettle" things for a period of time. It was
with my 3rd baby I had bilateral mastitis at 2 weeks post partum. I was so
pitiful I could not even pick up my 8 pound baby! I have always described it
as feeling unbalanced with three. Other moms who have experienced this agree.
When #4 came along things were way better. My husband had surgery 2 weeks post
partum, we hosted an exchange student who arrived right after baby did and my
eldest daughter had a slumber party two days after baby #4 and I came home
from the hospital...people thought that I was nuts. But then again, I did come
off of over 3 months of total bedrest after my water broke 14 weeks
prematurely with baby #4. Nothing was going to confine me after that
experience!

Laura Scarborough RN and future IBCLC