From:
cyndi klausing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:30:31 -0400
 Hi Pardee,
        It sounds as if you are describing the very same fabric that "my"
hospital has been wearing for several years. When I pointed out the
babies with pacifiers and the bottles in the background a few of our
staff chuckled in agreement but no one felt it was a serious complaint.
We have scrub shirts and jackets in this bright , lively print. We have
"branched out" and allow our staff to wear uniforms of their own choosing
within certain guidelines now, but I have TRIED to find a baby print
without an offending artificial nipple gaily placed somewhere in the
design. The pastel baby footprints are pretty much all I could find. All
in all the main print worn  is the one you mentioned. I pretty much stick
to pastel shirts ( plain) under a plain white scrub jacket and blue scrub
pants. Our other LCs wear "office casual" with or without the white
jacket. I guess I've been a nursery nurse too long to wear "real" clothes
while I work ;-) Besides....I'm always cuddling babies and that darn
triple dye gets all over me!
        If it helps any, I have NEVER heard anyone ( patient or staff )   point
out the yucky stuff except for myself. I think those things are (
regrettably) just a part of our culture and only we who are sharp-eyed
and conscientious of our unspoken messages to the ladies we work with are
even aware of the discrepancy. Maybe we could go into fabric design( only
one of the alternative careers I've considered in my mid-life crisis!!!)
                                                                        Cyndi Klausing RN,LCCE,IBCLC