From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 20:29:54 EDT
Thanks everyone for your input.  The baby is doing well
and the blood was limited to only one episode.  The regular
pediatrician (not the one on call on the weekend) is not
concerned.  In the interim, thanks to a reference from
Kathy Auerbach, and my always helpful husband who searches
literature for a living, I found and read an interesting
article and letter about severe bleeding and colitis
in breastfed infants.  Most of the infants involved responded
to elimination of cows milk from matern al diets.

Lake, Alan M., Peter F. Whitington and Stanley Hamilton
Dietary protein-induced colitis in breast-fed infants
Journal of Pediatrics
vol 101, no. 6, pp 906-910
(hypen is theirs- also some of the infants were put on
hydrolized protein feedings- when the offending allergen
in the mother's diet could not be found)

The following letter reported on 6 cases, all of whom
responded to dairy free or dairy & egg free maternal diet.
D.H.Shmerling
Dietary...
letter to Journal of Pediatrics , Sept. 1983
"All six infants had been fed cow milk formula during the
first hours or days of life, despite the mother's willingness
to breast-feed her infant...It should be brought to the attention
of obstetricians and midwives, as well as pediatricains, that this
procedure, especially in infants from atopic families, may be
unnecessarily harmful to an otherwise healthy baby."

On another track entirely:
I have often recommended a procedure that I used for getting
in and out of the tub with an infant that I think is safer than
trying to climb with babe in arms.
Put a reclining infant seat on the floor near the tub.  Spread
a large, open bath towel on the seat and draped over the sides.
Undress the baby (no diaper) and put the baby in the infant
seat.  Mother can get into the tub safely.  She then reaches
over the side of the tub and can easily pick up the baby.
To leave the tub the mother first places the baby into the seat
and wraps the previously open towel around the baby.  She can
get out unencumbered.  I don't know about liability for
such advise in case of a fall.  What do the lawyers have
to say about this?

Sarah Barnett