From:
Ellen Axinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 22:12:25 -0800
Here we go again...I strongly challenged one of our pediatricians who
ordered the mother of a 3 day old baby with a bili of 15.4 to stop
breastfeeding for 48hrs and give the baby Prosobee.  His reasoning had
nothing to do with the breastmilk but more with hydration.  I called the
parents who stated that the child had 5 wet diapers and 2 stools that
day.  Lucky they had been in one of my childbirth classes and trusted me
when I "told them the order" then gave my opinion that they should just
continue to breastfeed and forget the "order".  I feel that we've taken
a giant step backward.  The pediatrician won't budge in his position
even though these are low income clinic pts who benefit from not only
the health benefits but the monetary values as well.  I've given several
inservices but he never seems to make them.  I feel like conditions in
the clinic as far as breastfeeding have definately improved since I've
been there (1 1/2 years).  I guess I should take comfort in the fact
that they know they have to answer to me...but it is major frustration.
Ellen RN,BSN,ACCE,IBCLC