From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 14:05:55 +1100

Hi Penny
This sounds like a real puzzler.  I have known women to need to feed from
one side only for 6 - 10 hours at a time to down-regulate this sort of
oversupply.  Have you heard of 'posture-feeding'?  I think that it may be
called 'Australian hold' outside of the sunburnt country.  Mother feeds
lying on her back.  Baby is positioned on top of the mother, tummy to tummy,
parallel to the mother and approaches the breast from what would be the
underside if mum was sitting up.  Some mothers find it easier to attach the
baby first (sitting upright on her knee as if attempting dancer-hand
position) and then lies back).  Little babies (on big soft breasts)
sometimes need their foreheads supported so that their nose is free and they
can breathe.  The only caveat (apart from if it hurts you're not doing it
right) with this is to finish the feed sitting up so as to avoid blocking
ducts.  The advantage of this position is that the force of gravity is used
to mediate the flow instead of contributing to it.
I have had some success with a single pump-out to 'reset' the system.
Mother expresses all the milk she can just once to see if it kick starts the
supply-demand cycle.
I have also seen others have some success with expressing before a feed and
gradually reducing the amount taken.  In this strategy mothers express to
bring on ldr and then allow the milk to flow until it stops flowing of its
own accord.  Then feed the baby and measure the amount of milk taken.  Then
next feed, take this amount again and a little bit more.  Next feed back to
original volume.  And then gradually reduce the volume taken.  Given the
time taken for this to work I have oft wondered if this is more about supply
demand taking over from post birth hormonal milk production ....
Hope these give you something to work with.
Cheers
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"