From:
Anne Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 10:31:48 -0800
Hello !
        I've been lurking and away for much of the year, but I use this
body's collective knowledge regularly -- I now have a question I didn't find
a complete answer to via the archives. I'm hoping this post will spark an
idea with someone to help this mom.
        Mom has 4 children, is of Macedonian decent. Has erratic bfing
history bc of cultural pressures and incorrect information in the past. Is
now in the states and is really committed to making bfing work with this 4th
child.
        However she is now approaching 50+ pounds of additional weight
beyond what she gained during the pregnancy. She has tried conventional
dieting -- limiting calories/fat/carbo's and has not had success. She says
she only gains weight with the babies she nurses -- and one that she weaned
due to loss of milk from contraceptives (in Macedonia) she immediately lost
the weight after weaning.
        She is so depressed from being so heavy -- she cannot play with her
kids, do her chores, or have clothes that fit, etc. But she really doesn't
want to wean. Her questions are:
       1. Are there medications or herbs she could use that might help that
would be safe with breastfeeding?
        2. What tests might she inquire about in terms of metabolism, etc.
that might explain why she's gaining weight.
        I've suggested she keep a food diary for two weeks and to see a
local physician who's nursing savvy.... any tidbits greatly appreciated.
Please send via email as I'm no-mail currently!

Thank you all
Anne Robb, LLLL