Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:44:57 +0000
>  Therefore to increase a breastmilk supply it's very important to
>drain the breast as efficiently and completely as possible, but having the
>bby constantly on the breast isn't helpful.

This puzzles me.

Is it *ever* possible to 'drain' a breast 'completely', when bf is going well?

Genuine question.

Is there a good reference for milk not being synthesised when the
baby is actually on the breast?

I have to admit to hoping the body *can* do this....I have a hard
time convincing mothers they do not need to wait X hours between
feeds in order for the breasts to 'fill up'...I know there is work
(Hartmann's again, I think) which shows that the more frequently the
milk is removed, the more quickly it is replaced. But couldn't the
body make some of that replacement milk when the baby is actually
there?

Another genuine question!

I also want to resist the idea that 'breast as a pacifier' is somehow
'wrong' - what was 'invented' first, the breast or the pacifier?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc
Newcastle upon Tyne UK