From:
Cathy Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:46:49 +0800
On 21/6/02 12:12 PM, "Automatic digest processor"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would suppose it would be dependent on how rapidly the older child was
> weaned, as well as how much the older child nursed prior to weaning. I would
> suppose that rapid weaning of an older child that nursed alot might create
> higher levels of sIgA and lactoferrin in the mother's milk.  But my answer to
> you is mostly speculation because I have not seen any data on amounts of sIgA
> and lactoferrin from milk taken from mothers who were tandem nursing.  Maybe
> Cathy Fetherston has seen data on this.

Valerie is right, based on what we know at present any change would be
dependent on the degree of drop in volume. The only study I'm aware of in
tandem feeding was done by Saint et al. (1984) who looked at production of
milk of a tandem feeding mother - feeding a 6mnth old and a 26 month old.
The daily production was 2.25 litres. There may be others - I donšt know - I
will pull out the Saint paper and see if he did any biochemical analysis. If
he did I will post the results.

Regards
Cathy Fetherston
Perth Western Australia