Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:47:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Yes, I teach formula feeding. Not how to mix it, mom's can read instructions as easy as I can. 

When I go into a formula feeding mom's room we first discuss her reason for not breastfeeding. If there is misinformation or a real desire to nurse we explore those options. If she still wants to formula feed her baby I explain to her how importatnt it is to make bottle feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible. Skin to skin, eye contact, switching sides, gently introducing a bottle nipple into babies mouth, stomach capacity, frequency of feeding, etc. We then discuss what to look for as far as risks to formula feeding. Upset tummies, constipation, ear infections, fussier baby, less mothering feedlings,etc. I always leave the mother with my name and phone number and the comment that her milk is going to come in anyway, let me know if she wants to breastfeed and I will help her.

It continues to amaze me how many women associate working and breastfeeding as an all-or-nothing situation. I have begun to recommend the book "Balancing Breast and Bottle" (no financial interest) to moms who will be returning to work. It is a very well written, mother friendly book that explains how choosing the right bottle nipple will continue the breastfeeding relationship for as long as desired. I think it is within our job responsibility to make sure mom's have all the tools and education they need to make the best choices for their babies, parenting, and life style.

Anita Bartels RN, IBCLC
Jerome ID

P.S. Anybody going to the Lamaze conference and need a roommate? [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2