From:
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:32:54 -0400
Permission to post.

Mom has been experiencing unilateral shooting breast and nipple pain with no compression after feeding and between feedings.  Mom has also been experiencing her nipples turning bruised/black color while pumping.  She describes the color change as happening just a few seconds after starting to pump.  It can happen on both nipples when pumping and only happens on the painful side when nursing.  She has not noticed any white or red color change.

She also has some numbness on one side of her trunk, lasting two years, due to nerve pinching that was caused by a rib that kept popping out of place, so she doesn't feel pain on that side of her trunk.  This could mean that the unilateral pain is due to lack of feeling.  She might have pain on both sides if she could feel it.  Could nerve pinching also be related to the pain, possibly mammary constriction syndrome?

I suggested dry heat right after nursing and pumping and possibly massaging with warm coconut oil before applying the heat and asking her doctor about Nifedipine if the dry heat doesn't work after a few days.

I have not seen this mom so I cannot rule out problems with baby's oral anatomy but baby does have some asymmetry, so she is also going to pursue CST for him.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC