Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:18:11 EDT
Heather reports that a member of Parliament can only bf in certain rooms
because << 'refreshments' are not allowed to be taken in the committee rooms.

Half of me thinks that this is so ridiculous I can't believe it.   It ain't
exactly catering.

The other half, though, doesn't think it is the worst possible standard to
have floating about in the world.   My husband's line has always been "if
it's OK to eat, it's OK to bf," as a way of explaining why it's perfectly
reasonable to bf in a restaurant or a movie theatre, and NOT OK to demand
that a baby eat in a bathroom!

I have seen a lot of people's eyes open wide as they get it that Bf is -- not
only but [I would say] foremost -- about appropriate nutrition -- that it is
in other words more comparable to lunch than to sex or toileting.   And given
where, at least in the USA, so many people start from, that understanding
seems to me to move the world forward in a good way.

Probably the standard adopted by among others the New York State legislature,
that "Anywhere a woman is entitled to be, she is entitled to bf," is
ultimately where we want to get to.   But it is very focused on the mother's
rights, rather than on the plain ol' natural functions of a baby.  So the
food-related standard does teach something important that we (around here at
least) may well need as an intermediate step.

Elisheva Urbas in NYC
taking even the jokes seriously today, I guess