From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:25:13 -0500
Nina writes:

"I feel  I must weigh in as well, as this is a huge thorn in my side within
my  profession and is something that will require published studies to
change the  current belief system.  We, as speech pathologists are trained
solely in  bottlefeeding as the norm.  Most SLP's do not have the training or
expertise to understand the mechanics of breastfeeding, and how it is so very
different from bottlefeeding, unless they have taken a particular interest
in  BF and sought out the additional training in lactation.  This has come
up  for me locally and I know is a problem in most settings.  I agree
wholeheartedly with what others have said."

Ok, so now I don't feel like a rogue just giving my opinion. ( With so much
 misinformation to deal with, one questions one's sanity daily.. It's
always good  to get another, expert, opinion.) Thank you Nina for your more
"insider"  perspective. I know as a PT I received nothing in terms of normal
feeding,  breastfeeding, in school either. (And neither did the OTs, who were
more likely  to work with those with feeding issues - we have Growth And
Development lectures  together in our school.) I'm glad, Laura, you feel you have
good information,  vetted, to share with this mom.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA