Tue, 25 May 2004 00:22:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Gonneke
You write:
"A LLL leader asked me about a baby of 9 weeks old that already gained
3000grams, with an average of around 400gr a week. Doc is concerned that this is a
warning for an abese child and adult and wants to "do something about that
breastgfeeding"."

What you don't mention is whether or not mom and baby have experienced any breastfeeding difficulties. In the absence of any, I would say, so this is how this baby grows, probably a result of genetics more than anything else. OTOH, this is also a typical growth pattern for babies whose moms have an oversupply and often those babies will have other symptoms like reflux (silent or not), infrequent stooling, fussiness, upset tummy, etc. When I do encounter those babies with breastfeeding difficulties, I wonder less about the risk of obesity (although this is certainly worthy of concern) than I do the risk of Type 2 diabetes. If the baby is growing on an overabundance of lactose (relative to fat content), then wouldn't it be logical to question this risk? The other concern I have is that these babies (those struggling with oversupply) often do not suckle for comfort and may be more likely to wean prematurely, to be given pacifiers and to attach less well since breastfeeding may be an unpleasant experience for mom and baby. There is also the concern of a drop in milk production several months after birth, as milk has never been efficiently removed from the breasts.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2